Saturday, January 7, 2017

Japanese Fruitcake Cookies, So Delightful

These jewels look  festive, taste delicious, but are a bit expensive to make.

They would be even more colorful with both red and green cherries.  To use 8 oz. of each, double the recipe.

I've made a few substitutions that cut the cost by $4 or $5, but you can spend $20 or more to make five dozen of these yummy treats.  Right now, just after Christmas, you may be able to find candied pineapple and cherries at a closeout price and save them for next year.  I got my pineapple last year, as well as some citron, which I added, even though it isn't in the recipe.  You can be creative with this recipe as long as you have at least 16 oz. of candied fruit.

You're going to be a while cutting and dredging fruit, so sit down with a knife, all your fruit, and your biggest bowl with 1/2 c. flour in it.  I cut each piece of pineapple into four pieces.  With my knife, I stirred and folded it into the flour after every few pieces so that it wouldn't stick together.  Then I continued dredging cut cherries, raisins, and walnuts while I wondered, "Are these cookies worth all this tedium?"

Yep!  There's nothing that will delight your friends, family, and neighbors more!

You'll be proud to offer them to guests.

Ingredients:
1 8-oz. package of candied pineapple, chopped
1 8-oz. package of red or green candied cherries--or a package of both and double the recipe.  (I didn't have candied cherries, so I cut up a jar of maraschinos--worked fine.)
1 c. golden raisins (I used regular raisins)
2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans--I like less and used barely 1 c. walnuts.
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons brandy
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

I added some candied citron, which I had on hand.  As I said, you can be creative as long as you have the right amount (5 c.) of fruit and nuts--for my substitutions, less nuts, add citron.  I would always rather taste fruit more, nuts less.

Method:

After you've sliced, chopped, and dredged fruit and nuts, you're ready to set up the mixer.  I whipped my egg whites stiff first, so that I wouldn't have to wash beaters after making the batter.  For the batter, cream butter and slowly add sugar, beating at medium speed.  Add yolks and beat after each one.

Dissolve soda in milk and add it to the creamed mixture.  Then add brandy--or orange liquor.  I had Triple Sec on hand, so I used it, but Grand Marnier would be better.  (A pony bottle would do).  Add spices and your last 1 1/4 c. flour, and beat well.

Gently fold in beaten egg whites and your huge bowl of fruit.

Drop by rounded tsps. onto greased baking sheets, and bake @ 325 F. for 12-15 minutes.

With your first bite, you'll want to thank the Japanese for fruitcake cookies, cherry trees, and Yo-Yo Ma!

No comments:

Post a Comment