Friday, January 6, 2017

Yes, You Can Microwave Oatmeal!

The only fruit I add before microwaving is dates.

Before microwaving.

After cooking and adding fruits.


Fresh pineapple is the best fruit to add, but I was out.

Let's start our gastrological trip around the world with a healthy, no-mess breakfast at home. I am talking about how I make my oatmeal 365 days a year--and have for many years. The American Heart Association would approve, and my doctor says I'm good to go.

I tell all my friends to make oatmeal in the microwave, but they won't listen! They still either dirty pans or use the sugary istant stuff. So listen here, especially all you single men! The first time, you may have water spew out in your microwave if you don't use a large or deep bowl. That's a mixing bowl, not a cereal bowl. Note the size of mine in the picture. Any vessel that holds at least 4 cups will do.

I measure in only 1/3 cup of minute oats and 2/3 cup of water. "Minute" oats cook in my microwave in 66 seconds. If you have a less powerful oven, try 77 seconds and so on, but the longer-cooking oats will need too long--long enough to boil out all the water and not get done.

I usually add raisins, at least one other fruit, and walnuts, a handful of each, after the oats are cooked. A word about walnuts. Dr. Sanjay Gupta, my hero, was asked if he would name one food everyone should have everyday, and he said, "Walnuts." Sanjay's words are golden to me.

Today, my extra fruit was dates. I sliced 5 of them and cooked them with the oats, but I can peel an apple in 66 seconds and chop it into my oats when I take them out of the microwave or wash some berries in that time. I add no sugar, but several shakes of cinnamon. If you must have it sweeter, some honey is nice with the cinnamon. So, there you have a healthy breakfast with orange juice and a hard-boiled egg!

Note: Think of all the pairings of fruit you can add. Pineapple and coconut is another favorite of mine when I have fresh pineapple. The raisins and walnuts are must-use 365 days. Add all those servings of fruit--raisins, walnuts, pineapple, coconut, o. j.-- and you've almost got your daily requirement of the fruits and veggies group. But you won't stop there. There are 2 more meals. You'll be way ahead!  There is serendipity:  you don't have to scrub 365 pans every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment