Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Sauteed Peppers, Onion, and Tomato with Paprika

I make sautéed peppers, onion, and tomato with paprika in my extra large skillet every time I cook beef, fish, chicken, or roast pork.


Sauteed peppers and onions are a must-have for sandwich leftovers, and every ethnic group has its own spice combo to add.  Some also add bacon or sausage, and I have even added a diced slice of bologna with the onions.  Usually, I just use peppers, onion, and tomato with Hungarian paprika--lots of it--and some garlic.

If you like casseroles, perhaps you think a chunk of beef, chicken, pork, or fish is a little boring.  Besides, some casseroles can take an extra hour or more to make.  That's where your sauteed peppers, onion, and tomato come in handy.  Pile them on top of your meat, and all you need is a baked potato to make a 3-course meal.


My chicken breast is no longer boring.
Pictured here is everything you need:

If you don't have Hungarian paprika, use regular, but add some garlic or garlic powder.
Start by slicing a large onion and sauteing the slices in olive oil.  When the onion is a bit transparent, add 2 green peppers sliced julienne style.  Put the lid on the skillet so that the peppers get cooked  through.  Because I don't want to destroy that precious vitamin C, I turn my burner to "2" (of 10).  This slow-cook step takes about 40 minutes.

When the peppers are almost done to my taste test, I add 1 1/2 tsps. paprika and a can of diced tomatoes and continue to cook until the tomatoes are heated.

Add at least 1 1/2 tsps. paprika.

Add a can of diced tomatoes and heat.
This time, I was out of Hungarian paprika, so I used regular, not as good, but a little garlic powder adds heat.

You'll love sauteed peppers, onion, and tomato on all your sandwiches, and if you are trying to cut down on cholesterol, you can use these veggies as a substitute for cheese.  This dish keeps well in the fridge, so you can always have it on hand to brighten all your meats and sandwiches.


Slice London broil or any beef roast thin, pile it on a hoagie bun with cheese and your sauteed veggies, and call it a cheese steak.  Repeat with a pepperoni bun and call it a West Virginia pepperoni bun.  Enjoy these sautéed vegetables on a grilled cheese sandwich, panini, or tortilla with beans or meat.  Add them to pasta, mac n' cheese, or rice.  You can think of more creative ways to use these sauteed peppers, onion, and tomato when you're in a hurry, but still want something tasty.  I'm almost never without them.

Hungarian cuisine deserves attention.  In a later post, I'll steam fish on top of peppers, onion, and tomato, add a few more ingredients, and make "Hungarian fish ragout," so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment