Sunday, February 12, 2017

Charleston-style Curried Cauliflower and Apples in Microwave and Skillet

Charleston-style curried cauliflower and apples.
Charleston-style curried cauliflower and apples is simply delicious and a very versatile dish to which you can add some ingredients I didn't use this time.  I may add some sliced dates, coconut, raisins, celery, toasted almonds, ground peanuts, or hard-boiled egg or other meat to the rice that I will serve it with.  Because you can add a few different ingredients each time you make it, Charleston-style curried cauliflower and apples is a dish you can tailor to your mood, your time allotment and what you have on hand.

I have made Charleston-style curried cauliflower and apples a one-skillet meal by first cooking the cauliflower in the microwave in the same bowl I will store it in.  Be aware that crispy veggies will not cook in the microwave without water, so I added 2 tablespoons of water and cooked 2 minutes before stirring, then another 2 minutes.  During the stirring interval, I always tilt the bowl and look to be sure there is still water in the bottom.  I cook most vegetables in the microwave because this method requires so little water and, therefore, preserves more vitamins.

I had a huge fresh cauliflower, but I used only half of it, about 2 cups of the chopped vegetable, the right amount for 4 side servings.  Before you begin your Charleston curried cauliflower and apples, you may want to put on some rice.  I always use brown rice because it has all the "B" vitamins--in my mind, vitamin content trumps all other concerns.

To Begin, saute about half a medium onion in 2 tablespoons oil for about 5 minutes.  I like to add curry at this point and stir well to make sure that all the dices of onion get coated with the curry.  Nothing seems to soak up curry like onion.

Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir to make a roux.  Cook that on low 15 minutes.


Add a little milk after removing skillet from heat.  Stir, and add the rest of 2 cups.  Bring that to a boil and stir and cook until you have a thick curry sauce.

Add 2 diced apples
and your already-cooked cauliflower.  I also added 1/4 c. shredded coconut here.  Stir well to get everything coated and cook a few minutes longer.

Serve over rice. 

If you like everything mixed together, as I do, you can make Charleston-style curried cauliflower and apples a full meal deal by adding meat to your rice.  Beef, chicken or roast pork complement curry dishes well.  I'm taking a television doctor's advice here.  When asked if one should eat "all those vitamins everyday?" he said, "The trick is getting them all in at the same time."  You can do that with casseroles, right?  No matter, this stove-top casserole recipe for Charleston-style curried cauliflower and apples makes 4 good veggie servings with plenty of sauce, so you can stretch it a little with rice and add any of the extras mentioned above.  Love that Southern cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment