Thursday, February 9, 2017

Improvise Strata Casserole with Meat and Veggie Combo!

Ham and broccoli, chicken and carrots, salmon and peas, beef and mushrooms--you can improvise strata casserole with meat and veggie combo.  Strata can be your "go-to" substitute for lasagna when you're in a hurry.
Super-fast chicken and pepper strata
 
You can make strata for 8 in a 9x13" baking dish, strata for 4 in an 8" square dish, or strata for 2 in a 5x9" meatloaf dish.  I made the smallest strata, so just double or triple the recipe for big sister or bigger brother.  You'll want to make the recipe your own and make strata casserole with every meat andveggie combo you can think of.  It's full of dairy products, so if you want the kids to have more dairy, make more strata casserole.

If you want to make strata difficult, tear crusts from every slice of bread.  I use my own homemade bread--this time Bohemian onion rye--and I like my crust.  I'm not going for company elegant here, but you can make strata more elegant by removing the crusts from your bread.  You can also make strata ahead of time and let the meat and veggies soak up the milk, egg, and cheese mixture in the fridge for 8 hours.  That's good advice, but I skip this step when I'm hungry.

To begin
, oil your dish and tear your bread into it.  You can fill the dish about 1/3 full, but you will pat that down later.  I always layer on onion next.  This time I judged about 1/4 of the onion was enough.

The first layer is bread and probably onion.
The veggie layer comes next.  You need enough for 2 people if you are baking strata in the 5x9" dish--or for 4 or 6 if you are filling the larger baking dishes (2/3-all of a frozen 10-oz. bag or fresh equivalent).

I combined pepper and a large mushroom to equal 2 individual servings.
I made a mistake once and used raw sliced carrots.  They were too crunchy when strata came out of the oven, so I learned to either use frozen veggies, which all work fine, or to slightly cook fresh veggies in the microwave with just 2 tablespoons of water and drain.  This time, I wanted to use my leftover half pepper, so I spooned 2 tablespoons of water on each quarter and microwaved the bowl for 60 seconds.  If I'm using carrots, I slice them, add 2 tablespoons of water and set the timer for 2 minutes.  This time, I also added a giant fresh mushroom to equal about 2 servings of veggies (added with the pepper).

The meat layer can be anything you have already cooked.  You want about 2 ounces per serving or 1/2 c. for the smaller strata.  Figure enough meat for 4 or 8 servings (1 c. or 8 oz./ 2 cups or 16 oz.) for the larger strata.  Strata doesn't need much meat, because it requires mega dairy.  Protein is more than adequate.  I used chicken--not my favorite strata meat, but alright with beaucoup seasonings.

Whisk dairy items
.  In a good-size bowl, whisk 2 eggs (or 3 or 6).  Add 1 c. milk (or 1 5/8 or 3 1/4 c.) and 1 c. (or 1 1/2 c. or 3 c.) shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar), and whisk again.  These ingredients in the bowl are constant, no matter what meat and veggie combo you're creating.  To clarify, the measures for the biggest strata, serving 8, are as follows:  6 eggs, 3 1/4 c. milk, and 3 cups shredded cheese.  Divide by 2 if you are making strata for 4; divide by 4 if you are making strata for 2.  Remember those 3 measures, and you won't need the recipe again.


Add seasoning
.  I added a few good shakes of each:  parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and a tablespoon or more of Dijon mustard for my chicken strata and whisked a little more.  Think of what seasoning goes best with your meat and veggie combo.


Pour, spread and pat
.  When you pour your liquid dairy mixture over your layers, the cheese will all fall out of your bowl in globs onto the top of your strata, so you'll have to spread or scatter it evenly.   Then push down on the top of your strata with your hand or a spatula to make sure the solid ingredients are fully submerged in the liquids.


Bake
@ 325 F. for 60 minutes.


After a few tries, you can throw improvise strata casserole faster than your oven can say "preheated."


You are certain to please everyone when you improvise strata casserole with meat and veggie combo!  There is no cantankerous grandpa, suspicious in-law, or tired kid who can't be pleased with some strata casserole with meat and veggie combo.  Ham and frozen broccoli strata is especially good for breakfast--it resembles ham and broccoli frittata with the addition of bread.  (Use plenty of mustard in that strata.)  I'm going to experiment with fruits, too, especially with pork strata.  The possibilities are endless!  Also, if you're trying to avoid additives in store-bought food, you don't ever again have to make your hurry-up casserole with canned soup.  Make strata casserole your own.  Design strata yourself with a different meat and veggie combo each time.  Many healthy returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment